Sunday, August 12, 2012

A real moat!!!!

I don't know why, but I have always been fascinated with moats.  When I found out that Finland had several castles I was determined that we visit one.   I was ecstatic to see the moat--though it didn't seem all that forbidding with the seemingly shallow water and ducks floating by.  The Häme castle in  Hämeenlinna  was, well, awesome.  It was probably first constructed in the 14th century.  It was a very beautiful red brick structure as you can see.  I hadn't ever imagined red brick castles--but it is a sight to see against the blue sky.    It did conjure up images from Ranger's Apprentice!


King's Chamber

Queen's Room

Door to King's room as seen from inside the courtyard

Two cute page boys

Super steep stairs--can you imagine running up and down these without  a light helping you  to see?

No comments: