Monday, June 8, 2009

Two ears that hear, coming...September 17th!

Spencer, Alex, and I spent a long day at the Children's Hospital to determine Alex's eligibility for a Cochlear Implant. We began with the fun of a sedated MRI. I know that this is nothing compared to surgery, but I still hated watching my cute little boy having an IV inserted in his very plump foot. The nurses were pros, however, and minimized the trauma to us all. Alex's MRI showed that he had normal ear parts--and an auditory nerve. The surgeon said that he looks like an ideal candidate. Hip! Hip! Hooray! Alex will get his new ears "turned on" a month later. Alex should be able to hear birds, Beethoven, and be ready in time to answer the door for trick-or-treaters. :)

3 comments:

Alex said...

How exciting for your family! Are you doing Bilateral? I am really excited for your little guy! Good luck

gretel and frank said...

How wonderful Nancy! I hope it all goes perfectly. Thanks for hanging out with me!

Victoria Lemon said...

Kids grow too fast don't they? Would be hard if my girl spent the night away from me. I'm glad to hear Alex is a candidate for the implant. Hope you all are doing well.